Usenet vs. Mailing-list

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:11:05 EST 2023

On 2023-01-31, Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> No. FWIW, it's the mailing list that's blocking them, not Gmane.
>>
>> That's why I wrote this:
>>
>>     https://github.com/GrantEdwards/hybrid-inews
>>
>> It's an inews work-alike that submits most posts via gmanes NNTP
>> server, but will deal with particular groups
>> (e.g. gmane.comp.python.general) that want posts submitted via email.
>>
>> It allows me to continue to read (and post to) the Python mailling
>> list via slrn pointed at gmane.
>
> Interesting. In Gnus it was just a couple of settings to make it
> understand that in this group (i.e. gmane group
> gmane.comp.python.general) posts and follow-ups should be sent via mail
> to the mailing list address.

Ah, slrn is missing that feature. It will let you e-mail a response
instead of posting a followup (IIRC, you hit 'r' instead of 'f'), but
when you do that it sends the e-mail to the poster rather than to the
list. You can edit the To: header to fix that, but that's too much to
remember. :)

I looked into adding such a feature to slrn, but it was far easier to
switch the slrn setting so that it posted via an external inews
utility instead of the built-in NNTP client. Then all I needed was a
smarter 'inews'. Thanks the the NNTP and SMTP libraries in Python, it
took only 50 lines of Python to implement an external inews utility
that routed postings to either gname via NNTP or list-servers via SMTP
depending on the group.

--
Grant