Usenet vs. Mailing-list

Ben Bacarisse ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk
Sun Jan 29 09:29:06 EST 2023

Igor Berger <codewizard at gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 10:02:57 PM UTC-5, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Jon Ribbens <jon+u... at unequivocal.eu> writes:

>> > I'm not aware of any significant period in the last twenty-one years
>> > that it hasn't been working. Although sometimes it does feel like it
>> > isn't, in that I reply to a post with an answer and then several
>> > other people reply significantly later with the same answer, as if
>> > my one had never existed... but whenever I check into it, my message
>> > has actually always made it to the list.
>>
>> I have had the same experience and, as a result, I rarely post. Maybe
>> what I have to say is simply not interesting!
>>

> If I remember correctly, multiple regulars that use the mailing list
> mentioned that they "killfiled" posts originating from Google groups.
> This may contribute to such situations.

Ah, that may explain most of my confusion.  I know I stopped posting
because there didn't seem to be much engagement, but maybe it was just
many list members choosing not to see my posts rather than all list
members not being able to see my posts.

As I said, I did check to see if I could find a reply to a
Usenet-originated post from a list member but my not being able to find
one could just be down to many list members filtering Usenet posts.
It's clearly not universal.

--
Ben.