HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python

Barry barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Jan 26 18:39:24 EST 2023

> On 26 Jan 2023, at 17:32, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:

>>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 03:34, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
>>> A nice theory but nothing to do with the real world.  I've had a number
>>> of laptops that overheat (or would, if I let test program continue)
>>> running this test program.
>> Define "overheat". If all you're saying is "the fan began to whine and
>> I got annoyed so I shut off the program", that is absolutely NOT
>> overheating.
>
> CPU core temperatures up to 95 deg C and rising rapidly, as reported by a number of utilities including NZXT and CoreTemp.  Max junction temperature is given as 100 deg C, and I don't want to risk reducing the lifetime of my  CPU.

Silicon junctions melt something like 400C ish not 100C.
The max you see is the operating temp of the CPU.

For intel CPU if you go beyond what the slow clocking can deal with the CPU turns itself off to prevent damage.

Intel did this to stop people asking for replacement parts when there cooling was at fault.

Barry