bool and int

rbowman bowman at montana.com
Wed Jan 25 11:24:14 EST 2023

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 06:53:44 -0500, 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE wrote:

> They used Java at my last job (as in, the last job I had before I
> retired), and it was absolutely awful, for any number of reasons, the
> gymnastics (on many levels) required to support "primitive types" being
> one of them.

My first brush with Java was around '98 when it was first becoming
popular. To familiarize myself with the AWT I decided to write a simple
IDE for the AVR microcontrollers. What a disaster. The UI wasn't bad but
the instructions for 8-bit processors require a lot of bit fiddling that
was extraordinarily difficult in Java.

Then they came out with Swing and the assumption if the app ran with
glacial slowness you should get a faster machine.

The company I work for has one Java app created around 2000 as a cross
platform solution as people moved to Windows. Originally it ran as an
applet but when that window was slammed shut it became increasingly
unwieldy.

For what I'm developing today I used either .NET C# or Python3. The .NET
UI's on Linux aren't quite there yet but back end applications are fine.
PyQt (PySide actually. If there is a way to screw up commercial licensing
Qt will find it) is fine.