The Zen of D.E.K.

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Fri Jan 13 14:46:57 EST 2023

On 2023-01-13 10:00:01 -0800, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 1/13/23 09:06, Stefan Ram wrote:
> >    "Beautiful is better than ugly." - The Zen of Python
> >
> >    This says nothing. You have to sacrifice something that
> >    really has /value/!

Time?

Making something beautiful takes time.

> >    "[A]esthetics are more important than efficiency." - Donald E. Knuth
>
> [okay, falling for the troll bait]
>
> Those two things do not say the same thing; further, in Python at least, and
> depending on the situation, aesthetics may /not/ be more important than
> efficiency.

This is true independent of language.

Aesthetics /may/ be more important than efficiency.
Aesthetics /may/ not be more important than efficiency.

It depends on the application.

Although I would deposit that if you care about run-time efficiency (as
opposed to developer-time efficiency), Python might not be your language
of choice at least for the part where efficiency is crucial.

        hp