To clarify how Python handles two equal objects

Jen Kris jenkris at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 11 13:28:36 EST 2023

Thanks for your comments.  After all, I asked for clarity so it’s not pedantic to be precise, and you’re helping to clarify.

Going back to my original post,

mx1 = [ [ 1, 2, 3 ], [ 4, 5, 6 ], [ 7, 8, 9 ] ]
arr1 = mx1[2]

Now if I write "arr1[1] += 5" then both arr1 and mx1[2][1] will be changed because while they are different names, they are the assigned same memory location (pointer).  Similarly, if I write "mx1[2][1] += 5" then again both names will be updated.

That’s what I meant by "an operation on one is an operation on the other."  To be more precise, an operation on one name will be reflected in the other name.  The difference is in the names,  not the pointers.  Each name has the same pointer in my example, but operations can be done in Python using either name.

Jan 11, 2023, 09:13 by roel at roelschroeven.net: