Mailing-Lists (pointer)

Milan Glacier news at milanglacier.com
Tue Jan 10 03:35:11 EST 2023

On 01/10/23 11:33, dn wrote:
>On 10/01/2023 08.46, Stefan Ram wrote:
>>   If anyone is interested: In "comp.misc", there's a discussion
>>   about the use of mailing lists in software development.
>>   Subject: An objective criteria for deprecating community platforms
>>   (I did not create this subject!)
>
>(and I don't read comp.misc)
>

>There is an increasingly relevant question though: how do we 'reach'
>as many people as possible, without diluting the (community) value of
>
>At one time, if you wanted to talk/hear certain folk you felt
>compelled to join Twitter (see also AOL, MySpace, Facebook, ...).
>Recently many more people have realised that a single, centralised,
>(and corporately-owned) 'service' has its down-sides.
>
>If there are too many channels for communication, it increases the
>difficulty for any one person to 'keep up', eg python-list and
>python-forum.

I remember there was once a hot thread in this python-list discussing
about abandoning this mailing list and move all the discussion to the
forum.

Has anyone known about any status quo about the decision?

I personally strongly preferred mailing list. It is open-format,
open-archive and easy to download and retrive information using your
preferred indexing tools and homemade scripts.