What should go to stdout/stderr and why Python logging write everything to stderr?

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Jan 5 17:31:37 EST 2023

On 1/5/2023 4:28 PM, Weatherby,Gerard wrote:
> logging.basicConfig()
> logging.info(“Nice to know”)
> logging.debug(“Details for when things are funky”)
> logging.warn(“Trouble is brewing”)

Not quite -

 >>> import logging
 >>> logging.basicConfig()
 >>> logging.info("Nice to know")
 >>> logging.debug("Details for when things are funky")
 >>> logging.warn("Trouble is brewing")
<stdin>:1: DeprecationWarning: The 'warn' function is deprecated, use
'warning' instead
WARNING:root:Trouble is brewing

Only warning level messages are displayed, unless you do some
configuration, as mentioned in the logging Howto page:

"The default level is WARNING, which means that only events of this
level and above will be tracked, unless the logging package is
configured to do otherwise."

So following the Howto:
 >>> logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)
 >>> logging.info('So should this')
INFO:root:So should this

: Finally!

Not quite straightforward, though it is in the Howto.  Now about those
handlers ...