No solution for "--verbose" (on stdout) output in Pythonds standard library?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:59:37 EST 2023

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 at 00:54, <c.buhtz at posteo.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first I have to say that in my current and fresh humble opinion the
> often seen "--verbose" switch in command line applications should
> affect only the messages given to the users. This means messages on
> "stdout". That is what this question is about.
>
> The logging module is not an option because it works on stderr and is
> not intended to offer messages for the user but just for the system and
> its admins via logs (log-files, syslog, stderr redirection, ...).

We've already explained in the other thread that these kinds of logs -
which are EXACTLY what a --verbose switch usually covers - belong on
stderr. I don't understand the problem here.

But have you looked into argparse? I mean, you did say you researched
the docs, so surely you must have found it.

ChrisA