NoneType List

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 03:01:23 EST 2023

On 02/01/2023 02:14, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
> I used PASCAL before C and I felt like I was wearing a straitjacket at times
> in PASCAL when I was trying to write encryption/decryption functions and had
> to find ways to fiddle with bits. Similar things were easy in C, and are
> even easier in many more recent languages such as Python.

That's true of pure Pascal. But Thomas was talking about Turbo Pascal
which had extra functions and features for all those "real world" type
things. (And you could insert some inline assembler if all else failed)
It also relaxed the ludicrously strict typing slightly. Turbo Pascal
made Pascal a joy and I still use Delphi for Windows programming today.

TP also introduced classes to Pascal (although Apple had already done
so for the Mac and Borland basically ported the syntax to the PC).

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site