How to escape strings for re.finditer?

Jen Kris jenkris at tutanota.com
Mon Feb 27 18:11:10 EST 2023

When matching a string against a longer string, where both strings have spaces in them, we need to escape the spaces.

This works (no spaces):

import re
example = 'abcdefabcdefabcdefg'
find_string = "abc"
for match in re.finditer(find_string, example):
    print(match.start(), match.end())

That gives me the start and end character positions, which is what I want.

However, this does not work:

import re
example = re.escape('X - cty_degrees + 1 + qq')
find_string = re.escape('cty_degrees + 1')
for match in re.finditer(find_string, example):
    print(match.start(), match.end())

I’ve tried several other attempts based on my reseearch, but still no match.

I don’t have much experience with regex, so I hoped a reg-expert might help.

Thanks,

Jen