Vim (To move text-Lines between files) ___ :ab wt w! ~/temp.vi ___ :ab rt r ~/temp.vi

Hen Hanna henhanna at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:49:59 EST 2023

On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 10:28:41 AM UTC-8, rbowman wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:17:46 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna wrote:
>

> > To move text-Lines between files --- i do this (below).... Maybe
> > there's a better (or more standard) way, but i've been doing this for
> > 30+ years, so i'll prob. keep doing it.
> >
> You can use the buffers.
>
> "a yy will add the current line to buffer a.
>
> "A 5 yy will add 5 lines to buffer a. Note the use of case.
>
> "a p will write the contents of buffer a to the other file.
>
> Note that buffer a does not interfere with using a for a bookmark. In
> other words if you've marked an area with 'm a', "a y'a will put the
> text from the current position to the bookmark in buffer a.
>
> Also note that "* p will insert the contents of the clipboard or copy the
> text to the clipboard. I use that if I have files open in two different
> gvim instances.

thank you... that seems to work...    i dont like to split  the screen   (into  Panes) in Vim

               Select the text in visual mode, then press y to "yank" it into the buffer (copy)
                               or d to "delete" it into the buffer (cut).

               Then you can :split <new file name> to split your vim window up,
                          and press p to paste in the yanked text. Write the file as normal.

               To close the split again, pass the split you want to close :q .

USENET  Nazi  said:
                    Yes your questions do seem excessively frequent even here on Usenet yes.

Usenet-Nazis think they own the Usenet.    ---------     i'm   so  GLAD  that   they don't ! ! !

**   The Usenet-Nazi  as in .......... "The Soup Nazi" is the 116th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld, which was the sixth episode of the seventh season. ...............