Comparing caching strategies

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sat Feb 18 15:59:32 EST 2023

On 2/18/2023 2:59 PM, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
> I do not know the internals of any Roaring Bitmap implementation so all I
> did gather was that once the problem is broken into accessing individual
> things I chose to call zones for want of a more specific name, then each
> zone is stored in one of an unknown number of ways depending on some logic.

Somewhat tangential, but back quite a while ago there was a C library
called IIRC "julia list".  It implemented lists in several different
ways, some quite sophisticated, depending on the size and usage pattern.
  I remembered it as soon as I took a look at Roaring Bitmap and saw
that the latter can use different representations depending on size and
access patterns.