Precision Tail-off?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:54:29 EST 2023

On 2/17/23 15:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Every fall, the groups were again full of a new crop of people who had
> just discovered all sorts of bugs in the way <software/hardware>
> implemented floating point, and pointing them to a nicely written
> document that explained it never did any good.

But to be fair, Goldberg's article is pretty obtuse and formal for most
people, even programmers.  I don't need lots of formal proofs as he
shows.  Just a summary is sufficient I'd think.  Although I've been
programming for many years, I have no idea what he means with most of
the notation in that paper.

Although I have a vague notion of what's going on, as my last post
shows, I don't know any of the right terminology.