Evaluation of variable as f-string

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 7 10:12:08 EST 2023

[re-sending this to both the list and to Chris, as a prior send to the
list only was bounced back]
On 31/01/2023 22:33, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> Thanks for clarifying.
>> Hm.  So 'x' is neither in locals() nor in globals().  Which starts me
>> wondering (to go off on a tangent): Should there be a nonlocals()
>> dictionary?
> I don't think so, but there might be some value in a dictionary
> containing all available variables. It would have the same "don't
> depend on writing" caveats that locals() has (or would be specifically
> defined as a copy and thus disconnected), so its value would be
> limited. And it would probably STILL be imperfect, because perfection
> would require that it be a compiler construct, due to the way that
> nonlocals are implemented.
Does that mean that it is not possible to have a (built-in) function
that would construct and return a dictionary of all available variables
and their values?  If it were possible, it could be useful, and there
would be no impact on Python run-time speed if it were only constructed
on demand.

Best wishes
Rob