Upgrading Python on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Feb 2 15:12:56 EST 2023

On 2/2/2023 1:56 PM, אורי wrote:
> deadsnakes ppa don't have Python 3.10 for Ubuntu 22.04.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~deadsnakes/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
> <https://launchpad.net/~deadsnakes/+archive/ubuntu/ppa>
> אורי
> uri at speedy.net <mailto:uri at speedy.net>

I just last night installed 3.10.9 on Debian Buster following the
directions at

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-python-latest-debian/

I only changed the file name of the Python tarball. However, if you want
to use tkinter, the Tk development libraries need to be on your machine
before you run ./configure.  The package name may change, but for me it was

sudo apt-get install tk-dev

(see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5459444/tkinter-python-may-not-be-configured-for-tk)

It does not replace the Debian Python3 link to 3.7.3 so it should not
interfere with normal Debian system services.

(The highest Debian-supported version of Python on Buster is still 3.7+).