evaluation question

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:22:41 EST 2023

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 at 04:26, <Muttley at dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

> Its not evolution, its revolution. Evolution retains old functionality.

By the way, I'd like to see your opinions on eternal retention of old
functionality. Which of these features are you willing to put effort
into supporting?

1) Long integer constants eg 1234L which are the long type rather than
the int type
2) dict.has_key method, doing the same job as "key in dict"
3) The input() function, which automatically evals what was entered at
the keyboard
4) `x` which does the same as repr(x)
5) "from module import *" inside a function

Retaining old functionality is all well and good, but there are
limits, especially when the old functionality is downright wrong
(input vs raw_input). Before you complain about other people's
decisions, find out how many hours of YOUR time you're willing to
invest into a project.

Or alternatively, how many dollars you would spend on it. Let's
pretend that you can pay for as many core Python developers as you
like for USD 150,000 a year each. (See job posting
https://jobs.pyfound.org/apply/TwgMP1b4OV/Security-Developer-In-Residence
for where I got that figure from.) How many are you personally willing
to hire in order to have these features maintained?

It's easy to whine. Much harder to actually do something about it.

ChrisA