Upgrading Python on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:42:57 EST 2023

On 2023-02-01, אורי <uri at speedy.net> wrote:

> I have a server with Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and the Python version there
> is Python 3.10.6. Is there a safe way to upgrade to the latest version of
> Python 3.10 (3.10.9)? I tried with the OS update and upgrade but the Python
> version remained the same.

This is an Ubuntu question, not a Python question.

But, the answer is that you generally shouldn't mess with the Python
version installed by apt on Ubuntu. There are too many other packages
that use it.

It may be safest to install mutliple versions:

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2022/10/python-3-11-released-how-install-ubuntu/

You can also use Anaconda to do something similar:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1413421/how-to-install-older-version-of-python-in-ubuntu-22-04