Python 3.12.1, Windows 11: shebang line #!/usr/bin/env python3 doesn't work any more

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Fri Dec 22 22:01:02 EST 2023

On 12/22/2023 7:19 PM, Barry wrote:

>> On 23 Dec 2023, at 00:15, Thomas Passin via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> In neither case is the shebang line used.
>
> As i understand it, not in front of my windows box to check.
> The handler for .py file extension is set to be the py.exe
> It is py.exe that understands shebang lines.

Not on my system. It may depend on whether Python gets installed to
Program Files or to %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Local/Programs/Python.  Python
3.9 is the last verson I installed to Program Files, and that's the
version that Windows thinks it should use to run Python files.

Run the little test program I posted.  That will tell you which version
of Python the system wants to use.