IDLE editor suggestion.

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Dec 12 17:07:35 EST 2023

On 12/12/23 13:50, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
> On 2023-12-12 08:22, Steve GS via Python-list wrote:
>  > Maybe this already exists but
>  > I have never seen it in any
>  > editor that I have used.
>  >
>  > It would be nice to have a
>  > pull-down text box that lists
>  > all of the searches I have
>  > used during this session. It
>  > would make editing a lot
>  > easier if I could select the
>  > previous searches rather than
>  > having to enter it every time.
>  >
>  > If this is inappropriate to
>  > post this here, please tell me
>  > where to go.
>  > Life should be so
>  > complicated.....
>  >
> EditPad has this.
>
> So do Notepad++, EditPlus (not free but low cost, Windows only, and very
> good), and I'm sure many others that are much simpler than Visual Studio
> Code, for example.

Every now and then I pop up and suggest people look at Eric.  Odd name
for an editor? Well, it continues the long pun history in the Python
world (Eric Idle... get it?).  It has search history, among many other
things, I think once it was considered to be sort of IDLE++, but it's
grown to a lot more than that.   Not saying Eric is better-than-XYZ-IDE,
but it is a cool project...