PyCharm's strict PEP and not so strict?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Apr 20 12:23:49 EDT 2023

On 4/19/23 17:19, dn via Python-list wrote:

> The "light bulb" has little to do with "quotes"! This is one of the
> advantages of utilising a Python-native IDE (cf a more general-purpose
> alternative, perhaps with some Python add-on). PyCharm attempts to
> understand the code it is editing, and apply various lessons or
> experiences to offer intelligent assistance.

To nitpick a little bit, PyCharm isn't *exactly* Python-native, it's a
derivative of the IntelliJ generic IDE platform (written in, sigh, Java)
with a *very* evolved Python add-on and packaged in such a way as to
make it look as if it weren't an addon at all (but if you lift the
covers up you can see the roots)

Builtin bits are very configurable, usually, but I haven't found that
the Python code inspection (this is the stuff that by default gives you
the PEP8-type warnings) is particularly so - be happy to stand corrected
on that. However, you can configure an external tool - say, pylint - and
if you do, you configure that in the normal way (a .pylintrc rcfile, or
a toml config file). If you do this, you can turn off those style checks
from the builtin checker.   If you want.