PyCharm's strict PEP and not so strict?

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Apr 19 13:37:33 EDT 2023

On 20/04/2023 04.25, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 10:51, Kevin M. Wilson via Python-list wrote:
>>   I'm in a bit of a quandary, I want some strict syntax errors to be flagged,
>
> OK, You might want to use a "linter" in that case because most
> tools use the interpreter itself to flag syntax errors.
>

>>   but the use of single quotes vs double quotes!
>> NOT what I need from the 'checker', you dig?
>
> Not really. What is the problem. Use of single versus double quotes
> is straightforward - use one or the other and make sure they
> match(opening and closing) You can nest one type inside the
> other if you need literal quotes. And of course the same applies
> to triple quotes except you can include newlines inside those.
>
> What kind of problems are you experiencing with quotes?
> If we have some specific examples we can give specific answers.
>
>> "stones" for bull, how do I set up the kind of "checking" I want?
>
> That's not a phrase with which I'm familiar but my guess
> is you need to install a linter tool and then, possibly
> configure it to flag or hide particular error/warning types
> to your personal taste. Each tool is different so you
> will need to read the docs on how to configure it
> (and how to plumb it into your IDE).
>
> Personally I've never felt the need for any stricter error
> checking than the interpreter provides so I can't offer
> anything beyond the generic suggestion to use a linter.

+1

PyCharm enables a range of Python-linters. Some by add-in. Some by
"External tools"
(https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/configuring-third-party-tools.html).

Once a linter is made-available, some allow one to tune the application
or relaxation of certain 'rules', eg whether commas in a comma-separated
list are to be followed by a space.

Whether any enable the restriction of quotes use is another matter -
probably for the reasons @Alan has already covered.

PyCharm auto-magically enters both an opening-quote and a closing-quote
whenever start typing a string. The 'trick' is not to delete the close
whilst editing.

After gaining experience, I have a convention of when to use apostrophes
and when double-quotes. These old eyes dislike mixing both in a single
expression - but sometimes it is the best course to follow.

YMMV!

--
Regards,
=dn