Cannot install pkg_resources using pip

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sun Apr 16 23:08:56 EDT 2023

On 4/16/2023 6:34 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I'll download the installer from there.
>
> But, I still cannot install the pkg_resources module that meson wants to
> start the build of pulseaudio-equalizer:
> # pip install pkg_resources
> ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
> pkg_resources (from versions: none)
> ERROR: No matching distribution found for pkg_resources
>
> Rich

Sorry, Rich, I've never dealt with this so someone else will have to
give suggestions.

I would try to see if there are any versions available.  It could be
that meson says it needs version x but only version y > x is available.
Pip will quit but meson may very well work with the available version
anyway.  So I would try to install pkg_resources on its own, and then
see if the meson build can succeed.  No guarantees, but I've seen this
work before.  So

python3.9 -m pip install --user pkg_resources

Or, to see what versions if any are available:

python3.9 -m pip install --user pkg_resources==
# NO spaces allowed before the "==".

There is a pip option to ignore the version specification and just leave
the existing package installed as is, and this could help if the full
installation wants to downgrade the pgk_resources that you just installed.

You can also use the --dry-run option to see what would happen without
actually changing anything.