Christoph Gohlke and compiled packages

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Tue Apr 11 09:39:21 EDT 2023

On 4/11/2023 6:58 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 20:15, Jim Schwartz <jschwar at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> What’s the problem now?  Is it with python on windows?  I use python on windows so I’d like to know. Thanks
>>

> Python itself is fine, but a lot of third-party packages are hard to
> obtain. So if you need numpy, for instance, or psycopg2, you might
> need to find an alternative source.

I've noticed a big change in the last few years in that PyPi has many,
many amd-64 packages than it used to in the heyday of Christoph Gohlke's
efforts. I haven't needed to go there for some time whereas I used to
need to all the time.  So if I "need numpy, for instance, or psycopg2"
for Windows, I get them from PyPi.

Yes, I know that some projects haven't caught up to Python 3.11x yet.
And I'm glad I haven't needed to create a binary wheel for Windows
myself.  But the situation is way better than it used to be.  I've had
more trouble with Python and Python packages on Linux than on Windows.