Christoph Gohlke and compiled packages

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Tue Apr 11 08:03:44 EDT 2023

Op 11/04/2023 om 12:58 schreef Chris Angelico:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 20:15, Jim Schwartz <jschwar at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > What’s the problem now?  Is it with python on windows?  I use python on windows so I’d like to know. Thanks
> >

> Python itself is fine, but a lot of third-party packages are hard to
> obtain. So if you need numpy, for instance, or psycopg2, you might
> need to find an alternative source.
These days I use pip to install packages, and so far for the things I
need it simply works. "pip install numpy" works, same for psycopg2,
pillow, pandas, and other packages I use. Conda should work too, for
those who use the Anaconda Python distribution. I honestly don't even
know how it's done: are there some kind souls who provide the wheels
(binary packages) for all those things, or if there is maybe a build
farm that does the hard work to make things easy for us.

In the past I've used Christoph Gohlke's site and I'm very grateful for
the service it provided, but these days I don't really need it anymore,
luckily.

it everywhere."
         -- Jon Ronson