Looking for package/library to extract MP4 metadata

rbowman bowman at montana.com
Sun Apr 9 23:01:00 EDT 2023

On Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:19:37 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> That's why I hadn't thought it would help me as I'm after getting
> metadata from an MP4 video file but I guess the metadata format may be
> the same regardless of whether it's video or audio.

If yuo chase back through the various ISOs you tend to wind up at Apple's
QuickTime container format as the parent. The compression methods for the
media etc will differ but at least the structure of the file is
documented.  It's tedious but you can walk through the atoms (chunks,
blocks, boxes)  and find the metadata.

There is the disclaimer

https://mutagen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user/mp4.html

so it may not work for your intended purposes, particularly for modifying
the data. That gets tricky since it may change the size of the chunk.

https://pypi.org/project/tinytag/

is another one but it's only for reading the metadata.