Windows Gui Frontend

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 12:26:32 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-02 9:09 a.m., Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
>> I've tried wxGlade but never could get into it, or wxWidgets in general.
>
> Which version? Up to 0.7.2 I agree.

Been a long time. I was initially turned off by the event handling
system of wx compared to the signals and slots of Gtk and Qt.

> For me QtQuick and QML are a step backwards by some ten years when
> it comes to development speed.
> It's as much 'fun' as doing GUIs with HTML and JavaScript.
> Unfortunately, The Qt Company refused to provide an API for QtQuick to
> be able to use it without QML.
> Anyway, desktop development has long moved out of their focus
> (around 15 years ago when Nokia acquired Trolltech). It's not where
> their commercial customers are.

There are a number of desktop apps built in QtQuick.  KDE is
transitioning to QtQuick and it's been alright, not without some
consistency issues.  The Cura slicer is another example of a complete
desktop app written in QtQuick which looks and feels quite nicely on all
platforms.

For me, more and more I need to be able to run on mobile as well as
desktop.  Qt, GTK, or wx are just not good fits when you need that kind
of portability.

But traditional Qt will be with us or decades yet.