Windows Gui Frontend

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Sun Apr 2 11:09:06 EDT 2023

On 02.04.2023 16:45, Michael Torrie wrote:
> But any modern GUI toolkit has sizers and layout managers. If you're
> manually placing elements you cannot deal with HiDPI or changing window
> sizes.  Rearranging happens automatically when using sizers and layout
> managers.

I did not talk about pixel placement with wxGlade. That's not supported.
It's of course using sizers and with a hierarchy of sizers it's much easier
to rearrange things than it would be with pixel placement.

> GUI designer tools (Qt Creator, Visual Studio) can be used to assist and
> help layout the skeleton, but ultimately the GUI is defined by code. And

That's what I hated with Qt Designer: it does not output Python code
but  a .ui file.
This was the point where I could not recommend it to anyone.

> I've tried wxGlade but never could get into it, or wxWidgets in general.

Which version? Up to 0.7.2 I agree.

> but the future of Qt is clearly QtQuick, so I've been learning that.
> Has its warts, but in general I like the declarative paradigm.  It's a
> learning curve.  Overall it's fairly powerful, flexible and portable.  I
For me QtQuick and QML are a step backwards by some ten years when
it comes to development speed.
It's as much 'fun' as doing GUIs with HTML and JavaScript.
Unfortunately, The Qt Company refused to provide an API for QtQuick to
be able to use it without QML.
Anyway, desktop development has long moved out of their focus
(around 15 years ago when Nokia acquired Trolltech). It's not where
their commercial customers are.

Regards,

Dietmar