Windows Gui Frontend

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 19:13:36 EDT 2023

On 01/04/2023 18:21, Jim Schwartz wrote:
> Are there any ide’s that will let me design the screen and convert it to python?

There is nothing remotely like the VB or Delphi GUI builders.
There are some tools somewhat similar to the Java Swing and
FX GUI builders with varying degrees of bugginess.

And there are a few bespoke GUI type tools such as Dabo for
building specific types of applications.

But most Python GUI developers seem to prefer to just hard
code the Python, once you get used to it there's not much
time saving with the GUI tools.

The real time consuming stuff in building GUIs is getting
the basic design right and keeping all the controls,
keyboard bindings and menus in sync. State management
in other words.

I did a deep dive examination of GUI builders back around
v2.6 and came away less than enthused. Things may have
improved since then but I've seen no real evidence of
that.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site