Obtain the query interface url of BCS server.

hongy...@gmail.com hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 03:46:43 EDT 2022

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 4:20:12 AM UTC+8, DFS wrote:
> On 9/12/2022 5:00 AM, hongy... at gmail.com wrote:
> > I want to do the query from with in script based on the interface here [1]. For this purpose, the underlying posting URL must be obtained, say, the URL corresponding to "ITA Settings" button, so that I can make the corresponding query URL and issue the query from the script.
> >
> > However, I did not find the conversion rules from these buttons to the corresponding URL. Any hints for achieving this aim?
> >
> > [1] https://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs/nph-getgen?list=new&what=gen&gnum=10
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhao
> You didn't say what you want to query. Are you trying to download
> entire sections of the Bilbao Crystallographic Server?

I am engaged in some related research and need some specific data used by BCS server.

> Maybe the admins will give you access to the data.

I don't think they will provide such convenience to researchers who have no cooperative relationship with them.

> * this link: https://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs/nph-getgen
> brings up the table of space group symbols.
>
> * choose say #7: Pc
>
> * now click ITA Settings, then choose the last entry "P c 1 1" and it
> loads:
>
> https://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs//nph-trgen?gnum=007&what=gp&trmat=b,-a-c,c&unconv=P%20c%201%201&from=ita

Not only that, but I want to obtain all such URLs programmatically!

> You might be able to fool around with that URL and substitute values and
> get back the data you want (in HTML) via Python. Do you really want
> HTML results?
>
> Hit Ctrl+U to see the source HTML of a webpage
>
> Right-click or hit Ctrl + Shift + C to inspect the individual elements
> of the page

For batch operations, all these manual methods are inefficient.

Best Regards,
Zhao