any author you find very good has written a book on Python?

jkn jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 17:07:26 EDT 2022

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 4:36:38 PM UTC+1, Meredith Montgomery wrote:
> Paul Rubin <no.e... at nospam.invalid> writes:
>
> > Meredith Montgomery <mmont... at levado.to> writes:
> >> So that's my request --- any author you find very good has written a
> >> book on Python?
> >
> > The ones by David Beazley are great. Same with his non-book writings
> > about Python. See: http://dabeaz.com/
> Distilled Python is looking really nice, actually. It seems so concise,
> so it looks like a really nice first read. Thank you for the
> recommendation.

I concur with Paul's general recommendation of David Beazley's work.
I bought a copy of Python Distilled recently, having 'grown up' with editions
of his earlier 'Python Essential Reference', going back to the first edition
(Python 1.5?)

I confess to being slightly disappointed with 'Python Distilled', but I was
probably expecting something that I shouldn't have. It is basically a relatively
fast-paced introduction to 'modern' python, stripping down some of the fine
detail that the 'Essential Reference' books leave in.

I am not 100% sure how useful it would be for relative beginners; it depends what
you are looking for. As a reference to functions and library usage etc., the
essential reference books are (still) great, and cheap via eBay. As a stepping stone
from 'fluent beginner', it might well be perfect. As a hand-holding learning guide,
maybe not so great.

I'm by no means trying to diss Beazley's work, I think it is great; just trying to
indicate what you get for your money, and maybe the target audience.

J^n