Fwd: A typing question

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:44:30 EDT 2022

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 09:39, dn <PythonList at danceswithmice.info> wrote:

> On 31/10/2022 06.06, Stefan Ram wrote:
> > Paulo da Silva <p_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at nonetnoaddress.pt> writes:
> >> Is there anything to do without loosing my script structure and usual
> >> practice?
> >
> >    to lose (losing): to stop having something
> >    to loose (loosing): to let or make loose (see next line)
> >    loose (adj.): not firmly attached/tied/fastened/controlled
> >    to loosen: similar to "to loose"
>

> Hay, your write*!
>
> Well done. There's many a native-speaker who doesn't know the
> distinction, or doesn't care about accuracy.

I'm curious to what extent sloppy English correlates with sloppy code.
Do people care about learning proper Python but not about proper
English, or do they think there's no such thing as proper English just
because there's no English Steering Council?

A lot of people seem to treat English the way web browsers treat HTML
- as long as you can make some sense out of it, it's good enough. Some
nerds treat English the way the W3C treats HTML - there actually is a
standard and everything has defined rules. I know which camp I prefer
to communicate with.

ChrisA