for -- else: what was the motivation?

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:21:17 EDT 2022

Realistically an idea about something new is easier to consider than
changing what you have.

Some newer languages may well be designed from the start in new ways and
Julia is an example of a language that allows a wide swath of UNICODE
characters to be used in identifiers. They also let you type them in even
using ASCII keyboards for some level of compatibility.

The original topic asked about the topic of re-using ELSE as a known keyword
in a context I and some others feel is a stretch. But the alterative could
be to add an ever increasing number of keywords to meet new needs.

I had another crazy thought that I AM NOT ASKING anyone to do. OK?

I was wondering about a sort of catch method you could use that generates a
pseudo-signal only when the enclosed preceding  loop exits normally as a
sort of way to handle the ELSE need without the use of a keyword known by
the language. All you would need is an object of the right kind that is
thrown and optionally caught.

Of course, even if I fleshed this out and even if anyone thought it made
sense, there is no such need now as Python has made a choice that meets the
need even if few may dare use it or even know about it! LOL!