Find the path of a shell command [POSTPONED]

Paulo da Silva p_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at nonetnoaddress.pt
Wed Oct 12 22:25:51 EDT 2022

Às 05:00 de 12/10/22, Paulo da Silva escreveu:
> Hi!
>
> The simple question: How do I find the full path of a shell command
> (linux), i.e. how do I obtain the corresponding of, for example,
> "type rm" in command line?
>
> The reason:
> I have python program that launches a detached rm. It works pretty well
> until it is invoked by cron! I suspect that for cron we need to specify
> the full path.
> Of course I can hardcode /usr/bin/rm. But, is rm always in /usr/bin?
> What about other commands?

For now I will postpone this problem.
I just wrote a small script to delete a dir using rm and it works even
under cron!
There is another problem involved. The script, works fine except when
launched by cron! Why?
I'll have to look into this later when I have more time.
For now I solved the problem using a complementary shell script.

Thank you very much to those who responded.
Paulo