for -- else: what was the motivation?

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Oct 12 22:00:20 EDT 2022

On 11/10/2022 02.13, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2022-10-10, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've followed that advice for several decades. I find it much easier
> to read code that's organized that way -- particularly when the
> difference in block sizes is large (e.g. the first block is one line,
> and the second is a a hundred).

Makes sense. Keep the 'cause' and 'effect' close together. In other
words, making it easy to look 'up' from one of the 'suites' to see the
if-statement/condition which directs that logic-branch.

Contrarily, (see @Karsten, earlier) the preference to bundle the
"hundred" into one or more functions, rather than present as a 'wall of
text'. Added advantage: well-chosen function names(!) will remind the
reader of the purposes(!) of the "hundred".

Once both suites are short[ened], visibility improves (readability), and
the above contention goes-away. Thus the sense of the condition becomes
the most worthy consideration.

--
Regards,
=dn