for -- else: what was the motivation?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Wed Oct 12 19:54:32 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-10 10:11:10 +0000, Stefan Ram wrote:
>   I would not use tabs in source code as they are not
>   displayed in the same way everywhere.

Some would argue that this is a feature. Different people prefer
different indentation widths. Using a single tab character for an
indentation level allows everybody to view the file in their preferred
layout.

I have, however, found out that this requires more discipline than I and
the people I work with can muster. There is always someone who
accidentally converts some tabs to spaces, messing up indentation for
everyone else. So I require a "indent by x spaces" rule for all projects
I work on (unless the language convention have a strong preference for
tabs, like in Go).

In email I would always use spaces. Tabs are just too unreliable there.

>   Functions also come at a cost. From the Web:
Ah yes. Your infamous aversion against useful citations strikes again.

For those too lazy to use a search engine, the excerpt seems to be from
https://softwarebyscience.com/very-short-functions-are-a-code-smell-an-overview-of-the-science-on-function-length/

        hp