Find the path of a shell command

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Oct 12 18:50:26 EDT 2022

On 12Oct2022 20:54, Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:
>On 2022-10-12, Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:

>>> Have some major Linux distributions not done usrmerge yet?  For any that
>>> have, /bin is a symbolic link to /usr/bin

The above example may just be a different ordering in $PATH.

>> I have immediate access to CentOS 7, Ubuntu 20, and Amazon Linux 2,
>> and none of those have done that.
>
>Sorry, in fact they have done that - I misread your comment as being
>that they had symlinked the executables not the directories. This seems
>quite an unwise move to me but presumably they've thought it through.

I think that modern discs are so large these days that the scenario of
having a small critical /bin with a larger less critical /usr/bin on
another partition are behind us except in very niche circumstances.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>