Find the path of a shell command

Paulo da Silva p_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at nonetnoaddress.pt
Wed Oct 12 12:49:40 EDT 2022

Às 05:00 de 12/10/22, Paulo da Silva escreveu:
> Hi!
>
> The simple question: How do I find the full path of a shell command
> (linux), i.e. how do I obtain the corresponding of, for example,
> "type rm" in command line?
>
> The reason:
> I have python program that launches a detached rm. It works pretty well
> until it is invoked by cron! I suspect that for cron we need to specify
> the full path.
> Of course I can hardcode /usr/bin/rm. But, is rm always in /usr/bin?
> What about other commands?

Thank you all who have responded so far.
I think that the the suggestion of searching the PATH env seems the best.
Another thing that I thought of is that of the 'which', but, to avoid
the mentioned recurrent problem of not knowing where 'which' is I would
use 'type' instead. 'type' is a bash (sh?) command.

Thanks
Paulo