What to use for finding as many syntax errors as possible.

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Tue Oct 11 18:29:42 EDT 2022

On 11Oct2022 17:45, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
>Personally, I'd most likely go for a decent programming editor that you
>can set up to run a program on your file, use that to run a checker,
>like pyflakes for instance, and run that from time to time.  You could
>run it when you save a file.  Even if it only showed one error at a
>time, it would make quick work of correcting mistakes.  And it wouldn't
>need to trigger an entire tool chain each time.

Aye.

I've got my editor (vim) configured to run an autoformatter on my code
when I save (this can be turned off, and parse errors prevent any
reformatting).

Linters I run by hand from the adjacent shell window, via a small script
which runs my preferred linters with their preferred options.

My current workplace triggers the CI workflow when you push commits
upstream, and you can make branch names which do not trigger the CI
stuff.

So there's a decent separation between saving (and testing or locally
running the dev code) from the CI cycle.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>