What to use for finding as many syntax errors as possible.

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Tue Oct 11 14:11:56 EDT 2022

On 10/11/2022 3:10 AM, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
> I see resemblances to something like how a web page is loaded and operated.
> I mean very different but at some level not so much.
>
> I mean a typical web page is read in as HTML with various keyword regions
> expected such as <BODY> ... </BODY> or <DIV ...> ... </DIV> with things
> often cleanly nested in others. The browser makes nodes galore in some kind
> of tree format with an assortment of objects whose attributes or methods
> represent aspects of what it sees. The resulting treelike structure has
> names like DOM.

To bring things back to the context of the original post, actual web
browsers are extremely tolerant of HTML syntax errors (including
incorrect nesting of tags) in the documents they receive.  They usually
recover silently from errors and are able to display the rest of the
page.  Usually they manage this correctly.  The OP would like to have a
parser or checker that could do the same, plus giving an output showing
where each of the errors happened.

I can imagine such a parser also reporting which lines it had to skip
before it was able to recover.