What to use for finding as many syntax errors as possible.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:02:17 EDT 2022

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 at 06:34, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:

> On 2022-10-10 09:23:27 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 06:50, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be> wrote:
> > > I just want a parser that doesn't give up on encoutering the first syntax
> > > error. Maybe do some semantic checking like checking the number of parameters.
> >
> > That doesn't make sense though.
>
> I think you disagree with most compiler authors here.
>
> > It's one thing to keep going after finding a non-syntactic error, but
> > an error of syntax *by definition* makes parsing the rest of the file
> > dubious.
>
> Dubious but still useful.

There's a huge difference between non-fatal errors and syntactic
errors. The OP wants the parser to magically skip over a fundamental
syntactic error and still parse everything else correctly. That's
never going to work perfectly, and the OP is surprised at this.

> > What would it even *mean* to not give up?
>
> Read the blog post on Lezer for some ideas:
> https://marijnhaverbeke.nl/blog/lezer.html
>
> This is in the context of an editor.

Incidentally, that's actually where I would expect to see that kind of
feature show up the most - syntax highlighters will often be designed
to "carry on, somehow" after a syntax error, even though it often
won't make any sense (just look at what happens to your code
highlighting when you omit a quote character). It still won't always
be any use, but you do see *some* attempt at it.

But if the OP would be satisfied with that, I rather doubt that this
thread would even have happened. Unless, of course, the OP still lives
in the dark ages when no text editor available had any suitable
features for code highlighting.

ChrisA