for -- else: what was the motivation?

Avi Gross avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 14:54:52 EDT 2022

Fair enough, Chris. There may be some overlap with the size of code for the
most common cases but sometimes the opposite as those may be more complex
to deal with.

A reality for many programmers today is to not micromanage too early as
things are often fast enough and any tweaking is best done only in critical
areas. The emphasis may be on the programmer experience in writing fast
code with fewer errors. Perhaps secondary but often important is making the
code maintainable and in my experience that can often be best done by
choosing meaningful names and brief selective comments than by worrying
about the size of blocks of code.

But others obviously preach what they think works for them even when it may
constrain others more than it helps.

I have seen people suggest that all variables have short names like a3 but
that does not mean it improves anything other than the size of the code and
parsing it. The loss in readability and so on probably is worse.