Changing 'Scripts/*.exe'

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Oct 3 21:55:36 EDT 2022

On 04/10/2022 14.10, Meredith Montgomery wrote:
> ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
>
>> Meredith Montgomery <mmontgomery at levado.to> writes:
>>> Wouldn't it be great if it were portable by default?
>>
>>   I think under Windows there is a division of software
>>   suggested by Microsoft, a division of software into
>>   executable code and data (data may change in time).
>>
>>   The executable code is supposed to rest under
>>   "C:\Program Files" the contents of which cannot be
>>   modified by user processes easily. Program configuration
>>   can be stored below "AppData" in the user directory.
>>   It is supposed to be more secure when executable code
>>   cannot be modified easily by user processes.
>>
>>   So far, Python has decided to ignore this and install
>>   everything under AppData as I understand it. So one
>>   gets neither the security of "Program Files" nor the
>>   possibility to move it to another directory easily.
>
> Interesting.  I like portable things.  You copy from one place to

At which point we mention that this is exactly how Linux works. A 'zen'
of Linux applications and utilities has always been: "do one thing, and
do it well".

Then directory/file access controls aim to keep users in 'userland' and
away from 'system', and for folk who want more there are security
features such as apparmor which limit the types of usage of files (as
well as resisting external threats).

Extending this a little further: such philosophy enables Linux users to
more-easily install (and run) multiple versions of Python*, Firefox,
Chromium, etc, without resorting to containers or VMs.

* eg v2 and v3 installed concurrently, to possibly suit OP

> another and it just runs.  As it should.  Things should be simple.

+1
--
Regards,
=dn