Changing 'Scripts/*.exe'

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Mon Oct 3 16:20:11 EDT 2022

> On 1 Oct 2022, at 16:50, Gisle Vanem via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>
> Hello list.
>
> I'm moved my old Python27 installation from
>  f:\ProgramFiler\Python27  ( == 'ProgramFiles')
>  f:\gv\Python27

The design of Windows installed software makes this hard to do without a lot of knowledge about what the installation did.

For example there are registry keys that hold information on where python 2.7 is installed and there is other software that
will read the registry and expect that information to be correct.

I would have backed the old installation, uninstalled and the reinstalled python where you want it to be.

> and now many 'scripts/*.exe' program fails
> to start since the old path to 'Python.exe'
> is wrong.
>
> E.g. 'Scripts/pip2.exe' has the path
> "f:\programfiler\python27\python.exe" hard-coded
> inside it.
>
> Is there a easy way to fix this w/o re-installing this
> old Python?

The advice you have had will get you someway to fixing the breakage.
But do not be surprised if more things break as you try different things out.

As I say I would have backed up the files, uninstall and reinstall then put back from backup
any files that are not installable anymore.

Why did you move the files from where they where installed and working?

Barry