Python 3.11.0 installation and Tkinter does not work

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Nov 23 14:48:31 EST 2022

> On 23 Nov 2022, at 06:31, Stefan Ram <ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> darkstone at o2online.de writes:
>> I want learn python for 4 weeks and have problems, installing Tkinter. If I=
>> installed 3.11.0 for my windows 8.1 from python.org and type
>
>  Ok, so you already installed from python.org. I wonder a
>  little about the wording "installing Tkinter". Here,
>  I installed /Python/ from python.org, and this /included/ tkinter.
>  If you have really attempted a separate installation of tkinter,
>  it may help to uninstall and instead install Python /including/
>  tkinter.
>
>>> ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _tkinter: Das angegebene
>>> Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
>  Another possibility of analysis is to watch the Python
>  process using "Process Monitor" (formerly from Sysinternals)
>  under Microsoft® Windows (not to be confused with "Process
>  Explorer"). This program requires some familiarization,
>  but then it can show you in which directories a process is
>  searching for which DLLs. This might help you to find the
>  name of the DLL missing and in which directory it should be.

I think the depends.exe tool from sysintenals will do this as well.
There is a mode where you run a program and it collects the data
for all the DLLs that are used either statically linked or dynamicall
loaded, that is the case for _tkinter.

I have not used in in a very long time but I recall it shows errors
from DLLs that failed to load.

Barry