Python 3.11.0 installation and Tkinter does not work

DFS nospam at dfs.com
Mon Nov 21 17:32:17 EST 2022

On 11/21/2022 12:59 PM, darkstone at o2online.de wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I want learn python for 4 weeks and have problems, installing Tkinter. If I installed 3.11.0 for my windows 8.1 from python.org and type
>
>    >>> import _tkinter
>    > Traceback (most recent call last):
>    >    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    > ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _tkinter: Das angegebene
>    > Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
>    > So I it is a tkinter Problem and I tried this:
>
>   >  >>> import _tkinter
>   > Traceback (most recent call last):
>    >    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    > ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _tkinter: Das angegebene
>    > Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
> How can I fix this and make it work?

When installing Python 3.11.0 did you check the box "tcl/tk and IDLE"?
(it's an option on the Python Windows installer).

I made sure to do that, and then this worked:

import tkinter
from tkinter import filedialog as fd
from tkinter.filedialog import askopenfilename
filename = fd.askopenfilename()
print(filename)

foldername = fd.askdirectory()
print(foldername)