Logging

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sat Nov 19 17:27:58 EST 2022

On 19Nov2022 11:08, Stefan Ram <ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
><baran200167 at gmail.com> writes:
>>You are expected to implement logging feature to an existing
>>code which uses the function below. [...]
>>You are not allowed to make changes in my_ugly_debug, so find another
>>way.
>
>  If found a solution that is even more ugly than your
>  function. I was just about to post it here, but then
>  remembered about the "no homework" rule. Bummer!

I suspect that the OP is just being asked to modify existing code which
calls my_ugly_debug to use more conventional logging calls.

Baran, in addition to the various info(), warning() etc logging calls
there is a log() logging call which accepts a log level (the warning()
etc calls basicly call this with their own logging level).

I would be inclined to write a my_better_debug(s,level=0) function which
took those existing levels (0,1,2) and mapped them to the official
logging levels logging.INFO, logging.WARNING etc, and then called
logging.log() with the official level.

Then adjust the calling code to call your new function.

The alternative is to just replace every calling function which uses
my_ugly_debug() to directly call a logging.whatever() call.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>