Problems with IDLE in Windows 8.1 and installer x86 Version 3.10.8

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 9 21:19:25 EST 2022

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 00:02:44 +0000, <darkstone at o2online.de> declaimed the
following:

>Is there no one who can help?

	Your problem description isn't detailed enough to even guess what you
are finding incorrect.

	If you are on Windows, once you've done an install, shove the installer
file off into some archive and don't touch it again unless you need to
reinstall or repair the existing install.

	Do a search for idle.*

Windows PowerShell

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\Wulfraed> Get-ChildItem -Path C:\Python38\ -Recurse -Name
-Filter "idle.*"
Lib\idlelib\idle.bat
Lib\idlelib\idle.py
Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw
Lib\idlelib\Icons\idle.ico
Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\idle
Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\IDLE.cfg
PS C:\Users\Wulfraed> type C:\Python38\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat
@echo off
rem Start IDLE using the appropriate Python interpreter
set CURRDIR=%~dp0
start "IDLE" "%CURRDIR%..\..\pythonw.exe" "%CURRDIR%idle.pyw" %1 %2 %3 %4
%5 %6 %7 %8 %9
PS C:\Users\Wulfraed> c:\python38\lib\idlelib\idle.bat

... opens something IDLE related (seems to be an interactive Python shell,
but a configuration item allows setting it to open an edit window instead).

	Interesting -- I could have sworn there was a Python38 entry on the
Windows start menu, but I seem to have removed it. I don't use IDLE, and
that was the primary item in the Python38 entry. I normally use an old
version of PythonWin (fyi: I'm using an old version of the ActiveState
Python package). I also have PyCharm installed.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/