Operator: inappropriate wording?

elas tica elasstiika at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:46:56 EDT 2022

Le vendredi 4 novembre 2022 à 16:29:34 UTC+1, Chris Angelico a écrit :

> Yep. The word "operator" is incorrect when referring to Python's comma
> (in contrast to, say, C, where the comma actually *is* an operator);
> and from my understanding, the docs have already been updated to fix
> this.
>
> ChrisA

Thanks Chris for your response.

This problem of an imaginary comma operator was quite clear. The issue I opened is more about the so-called = operator which is not considered as such by the official Python FAQ, at the same place where it was said that comma was not an operator either.

By the way, I opened another issue because the dot operator is missing in the list of tokens that are operators and R. Hettinger seems to consider my objection as admissible. The issue is here: https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/99000

It seems that there are some problems with the use of the term operator in the official documentation ;)