Tkinter: multicolumn table widget

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 31 16:29:23 EDT 2022

On Tue, 31 May 2022, MRAB wrote:

> Have a look at the tkinter.ttk.Treeview widget; it can be formatted as a
> tree hierarchy, its name suggests, or a multi-column tables, but it
> doesn't support multi-line text though, as far as I know.

MRAB,

Thank you, I will.

Each time I add a row to the contacts database table I include a note of
what was discussed and what needs to be done. I'd like to be able to see the
entire note with each contact event.

I'm not committed to using a table so I'm totally open to other approaches.
My needs are few:
   - The returned results are read-only.
   - The number of rows returned are variable.
   - Each row has a contact date, contact type, note, and next contact date.
     The last one isn't necessary to be displayed, but the first three are.
   - I want to be able to scroll and view all returned rows.

> As with the tkinter.Text widget, you'll need to add the scrollbar(s)
> separately and then link them.

This I expected.

Thanks,

Rich